[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Renault 16 Site Forum • View topic - How low can you go?

How low can you go?

How low can you go?

Postby Saru » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:10 am

Hi,

Just wondering how low you can set the suspension on an R16 before you get into trouble? ;)

Here's my TS at the moment:
(5 extra steel wheels in the luggage area in that pic!)

I was thinking of resetting it to the lowest of factory settings -- and then possibly going 1" lower.
Saru

Postby r16magnus » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:56 pm

I think it is possible to have an R16 to lie down on the sills if the torsion bars are released, then you can work your way back until you have enough clearance not to hit stuff on the road when you have the car loaded with people and luggage. I would think with changed shocks 10cm (4") at front and 15 cm (6") at the back is possible, but not necessarily good. If the front is lowered this much you will probably get some bump steer (wheels steering by them self when hitting bumps)

One way to find the absolute maximum would be to first check how much lower it gets when you load it to you prefered max, 1 person, 2 persons, 4 persons + luggage or what ever.
Then release the torsion bars and let it hit the ground... Lift it until the front wheels are reasonably straight forward, then lift it the same distance as your max load lowered it, and voila, there is your new ride height.

But, remember that the front suspension bushes will be strained when the car is lower than original.
Magnus Bjelk
E-Mail: magnus@r16site.com
Web:
r16magnus
Site Admin

Postby Saru » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:08 am

Thanks, Magnus. :)

I'll try the lowest factory standard setting as described in the Haynes Manual and then see if I want to go any lower.
Saru

Postby Saru » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:57 am

I still haven't done anything...

But I've just seen this photo:

And now I know exactly how low I want to go. 8)
Saru

Return to Wheels, Hubs and Suspension