72 TS Electrical issues.

72 TS Electrical issues.

Postby vivid » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:31 pm

Intermittantly the right headlight becomes dim (but lit) the left is not affected. Light globe change makes no difference.

Then it is fine for a while, but its becoming more frequent.
I have been having a poke around and it doesnt seem to be a dodgy connection.

The dash back lighting is also dim, not sure if its related, but I thought maybe a power regulator?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

David.
1958 Dauphine
1968 R8
1968 R16
1969 R10
1969 R10S
1972 R16TS
1976 R16TS
1984 FuegoGTX X2
1986Gold 25GTX
Powered by high grade French plutonium.
vivid

Postby r16magnus » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:55 am

I assume you have checked the obvious like the connector to the light bulb and trying new light bulbs.

With reservation that the wiring is the same in right hand drive cars like yours:
The left and right headlights are connected in the connection block for the light switch, pink or green depending if it is main or dipped. From this point it is two sets of individual wires to each side. Check this connector.

If this doesn't solve the problem:
-If it is only dipped OR main beam and not both I would try and run an extra wire from the light switch to the light and see if the problem disappears. If this solves the problem I guess the wiring loom somewhere between the connector and the headlight is damaged.
-If is both dipped AND main it must be the earth connection from the light bulb to the innerwing.

As I see it, the dash light can't be related. For the dash light it usually is the reostat for adjusting the dash light that is more or less dodgy...
r16magnus
Site Admin

Re: 72 TS Electrical issues.

Postby Neil » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:59 pm

vivid wrote:Intermittantly the right headlight becomes dim (but lit) the left is not affected. Light globe change makes no difference.

Then it is fine for a while, but its becoming more frequent.
I have been having a poke around and it doesnt seem to be a dodgy connection.

The dash back lighting is also dim, not sure if its related, but I thought maybe a power regulator?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

David.
Neil

Return to Electrical system and ignition